I want to make and receive real recommendations from fellow twetters, but like many twitter people and bloggers out there I am not really into the #followfriday thing at the moment (if you don’t know what follow Friday is here is a simple explanation from Mashable) and here is why:
- All the follow Friday tweets clutter up my feed and I can’t see my content.
- For a large amount of people who are doing follow Friday tweets I am convinced that they are randomly selecting people with the hope they will get a little attention and maybe a few followers.
- The recommendations are often not in context. Why are you recommending the person? Why are they good at what they do? Do you think that I should follow them just because you said so?
I want my recommendations to be useful so this is what I am going to do on Fridays.
- I am only going to recommended one or two people.
- I may not do it every week.
- As well as active tweeters, I am going to mention people who are in my offline networks or not very active on-line. Just because someone does not tweet their guts out does not mean they can not offer value to you.
- I am going to make the effort to write a short blog post to introduce them. Now I don’t consider myself a good writer and I’m even worse when it comes to spelling, so you know that if I have taken the time to write about them, then at least I think they are alright.
- I am going to use the recommend tag and cc/ @hashable. If I have room I will also add another tag to categorise that tweeter. Something about using the word recommend and having that recommendation associated with my profile on hashable make things seem more personal and genuine. People seem to re tweet a lot of people but would you recommend just anyone? I would not as that recommendation is forever associated with me and my brand. Using Hashable helps me track my relationship with that person and helps me connect others to that person.
I don’t know how you feel about this post and if you agree or disagree please speak up and comment below. I know the original idea with follow Friday was to help people find good tweeters but if you are not on twitter but are on LinkedIn maybe you could mention someone there. For me this all about being useful and this feels like a better way forward.